Okay so I love all things fall, but what I get most excited for when the weather turns cold is that it’s finally SOUP SZN PEOPLE! I mean of course I like my pumpkin flavored things but for some reason I just love the variations of the soups to make, plus making them in a slow cooker or on the stove top is nice depending on how much time you have!
I am a huge fan of lemon so although this just has a hint, feel free to add more if you like! This recipe has tons of flavor and plenty of veggies. Let’s get right to it.
- 1/4 C EVOO
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3-5 garlic cloves minced or grated (I love garlic!)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried – I did dried)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds (these are super strong in flavor if you haven’t used before! Less is more IMO)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6-7 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 5-6 carrots chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2-3/4 C dry white wine [Pinot Grigio or Sauvingnon Blanc – have a glass while you cook 😉 ]
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
- 4-6 cups roughly chopped kale
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 cups of pasta (could also do rice!)
1. Boil 2 chicken breasts. Once cooked through, remove from water and shred chicken with two forks.
2. Heat EVOO in a large pot over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add onion and cook for roughly 5 min, until golden. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, fennel, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper.Cook another 5 minutes, until very fragrant. Add and stir in tomato paste. Add the white wine, broth, and red pepper flakes. Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 min, until carrots are tender.
3.. About 10 minutes before serving add the cooked shredded chicken, parmesan, lemon juice, kale, and uncooked noodles.
4.. Once noodles are cooked through, serve the soup topped with additional parmesan cheese and fresh oregano if you have any!
Let me know if you try it and how much you love it!